FRACTIONATED CARBON DIOXIDE LASER: PRE-OPERATIVE INSTRUCTIONS
To download a PDF of this file click here
Fractionated Carbon Dioxide laser: Pre-operative Instructions
1. Before we start, please review the consent form thoroughly and make sure all your questions are answered.
2. You will be here for approximately 3 hours. Please arrange for someone to pick you up at the end of the treatment. You will not be comfortable on public transport.
3. If prescribed please start taking the oral antibiotics the evening before your procedure and continue to take regularly until the course is finished.
4. If prescribed please start taking Aciclovir 400mg at bedtime the evening before. Take 400mg tablets, twice a day until you finish all the tablets supplied.
5. Start using Dermovate cream on the morning of the day before the procedure, applying morning and evening. You will have applied this cream a total of three times before the treatment.
6. Take one 10mg Zirtek the night before the procedure. You will also be asked to continue this for several nights.
7. You need to stop taking Aspirin or other pain medication such as Ibuprofen, 5 days before the procedure. You may take Paracetamol for pain.
8. Supra-therapeutic dose of Vitamin E and other herbal supplements have been associated with increased bleeding risk. Please let us know if you are on any herbal or non-prescription supplements.
9. Please have following items ready before your treatment day:
• Hair bands and ties to keep hair off your face and neck: make sure they are soft and not too tight, as you may need to keep them on for 48 hours.
• Bags of frozen peas as ice packs.
• Home environment: make sure that you have a room which is free from direct sunlight. Blinds and curtains are sufficient. Vacuum the room and laundry linens to cut down risk of infection.
• Sunblock with SPF 30 or above: once the skin is healed, you will be instructed to apply sunscreen liberally for 3 months.
• Arrange for backup help during the week after the procedure in case you need help.
• Wound Care regime.
10. On the day of treatment, please come to the Clinic a good hour prior to your scheduled treatment time with no make up and a buttoned shirt i.e. wearing garments that don’t need to be removed over your head. Do not wear contact lenses for that day.