SHALLOW GRANULATING WOUND CARE SHEET
To download a PDF of this file click here
The wound you have should heal by secondary intention. This means keeping it clean, moist and free from crusts and scabs as the area heals. This will help to give the best cosmetic result.
You will need to dress the wound regularly, initially once or twice a day.
You will need:
- Water which has been boiled in a kettle.
- Cotton buds/Cotton wool.
- Dressing Ointment e.g. Savlon (or antibiotic ointment if prescribed).
- Non-adherent dressing and tape, or plasters.
- Wash your hands to minimize the risk of infection.
- Remove the previous dressing.
- Pour some water into a small bowl and, using cotton buds or cotton wool, gently clean away oozing or crusts from the wound.
- Apply the dressing Ointment with a cotton bud.
- Cover with a non-adherent dressing and secure with a tape or cover with a plaster.
- Wash your hands again.
TIPS AND AFTERCARE
When cleaning the wound, if it starts to bleed, apply pressure to the site with a piece of gauze or cotton wool for a few minutes and it should stop.
If you experience pain, take two Paracetamol Tablets 4-6 hours apart as required.
Once the wound has healed, gently massage in some moisturising cream which should help to soften the scar.
IF YOU HAVE ANY CONCERNS, PLEASE DO NOT HESITATE TO CONTACT US ON 01865 320790